Friday, June 5, 2015

~Homemade Chalk Paint...& a Pair of Louvre Doors~

~Louvre doors...who thought they would be so hard to find.....I had decided I needed some to make a freestanding divider, photo backdrop etc........when I finally found a pair ......unfortunately they came attatched too, a rather seen better days kind of cupboard.  So in order to get the doors I had to buy this huge cupboard as well.....but a quick stop to hubby's work on the way home soon fixed that.......what I didnt realise that inside the cupboard was a nice little set of free standing drawers......bonus!....def explains the weight...and no I didnt think to look inside ...all I saw were louvres....pretty sure I sometimes suffer from tunnel vision.    Next step was colour choice and I have gone for a grey blue by Dulux called Sky Bus Quater which I will be using as the base for my Chalk paint.   I have made quite a few different mixes of chalk paint over time and the mixture I prefer is made using Calcium Carbonate.  Plaster of Paris tends to get thick fairly quick....I find some of the grouts a bit gritty....and Calcium Carbonate is a fine powder that mixes lovely and smooth.~ (apparently it can even be used in spray guns so I have been told)~

I am going to let you in on a secret that makers and sellers of chalk based paints don't want you to know.  Calcium carbonate is the secret ingredient in alot of very expensive chalk paints.  By using this mineral which by the way is very very cheap to buy you can mix and make your own chalk paint in whatever colour you want (No longer limited to only a dozen or so colours)


Now as to where to buy the powder.......yes its on ebay......at some very inflated prices......but is is also readily available from  Fodder stores for a fraction of the cost.  It is a mineral that is used for animals as well as gardening.  Fodder stores are great as they buy in bulk so you only have to buy what you need (usually by the kilo) and for less than a few dollars per kilo it is great value.
Here is the recipe I use:

DIY CHALK PAINT RECIPE

2 Tablespoons of Calcium Carbonate Powder
1 Tablespoon of water
Mix together to form a smooth paste before adding to 
1 cup low sheen water based paint 
                                    Stir well before use.                                 


To make a litre of Chalk Paint:
8 Tablespoons Of Calcium Carbonate Powder
4 Tablespoons of Water
Mix as above and store in an airtight container between using making sure to stir well before use.

☆.¨´¸☆¨¸.¸.☆¨

As with all chalk paints....
you will still need to finish your piece with a soft wax for durability.



post signature

~Before~

No comments:

Post a Comment

✿¸ Thankyou for taking the time to stop by ~Shabby Delights~ your comments are most welcome ✿¸